Jessica Libor is an artist from Philadelphia, PA who creates work that deal with beauty, desire, artifice, and feminine experience. She writes a blog at www.jessicaliborblog.com, and also curates exhibitions through the pop-up gallery Era Contemporary. She has studied at the Florence Academy of Art, Grand Central Atelier and received her MFA from the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. She currently divides her time between Philadelphia, PA and New York, NY.
"I am inspired by the feminine spirit: my work is about the woman who is empowered to be the heroine of her own story. My aesthetic is influenced by the Rococo and Pre-Raphaelite periods of art history, as well as theater, set design, high fashion culture. The feminine figure is central in carrying the piece or telling a story, and her surroundings often mirror her state of mind. In all my work, I strive to create an enveloping world that is vivid, compelling and emotionally complex. I would like it if my viewers could step inside this world and fall in love, if only for a moment, with the moment portrayed. It is this portrayal of strength and potential, this perfect moment of inspiration within an imperfect world, that I aim to capture in my work.
The paintings and installations are also infused with a sense of light. In the paintings, this shows up in the way that light sources are enhanced and made more brilliant. In installations and video, the sensibility is similar in that there are glowing objects, filters, and effects that are use to enhance the effects of natural lighting. This results in a sense of distillation, a still perfection, like a memory or dream. In much of the work, but especially the paintings, true gold and silver leaf are used to add brilliance to the work. The changing nature of light makes this material look different when viewed from different angles, and also physically mimics the precious nature of the scene presented: the moment is worth being encased in gold.
Pattern and rhythm are also present as carriers of meaning in my work. The organic patterning of tree limbs, figures, flowers, and shadows all are used to create a sense of fullness and ornate design. In videos and installation, repeated motifs and objects are used to call attention to certain details.
It is my hope that my viewers may by inspired to recognize thier own strength, beauty and mystery as they look at my work."
• Spring Exhibition, two person exhibition: Jessica Libor and Nathan Durnin, hosted by Era Contemporary and St. John Boutique at the King of Prussia Mall, 160 North Gulph Rd, Suite 1927, King of Prussia, PA. The exhibit will be held Saturday, April 21 from 1 to 6pm. If you have questions about this exhibition, email email@example.com.
•Master of Fine Arts, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 2014, Philadelphia, PA
•Grand Central Atelier, New York, NY, ongoing education
•Florence Academy of Art, Florence, Italy, Summer 2009, Spring 2012
• Montgomery County Community College, Blue Bell, PA, 2006
• Small Beauties, group exhibition, with Era Contemporary, a traveling exhibition that started in Philadelphia, PA at the Cynwyd Club, and closed at ConArtist Collective in New York, NY, February 2018
• Alumni Show, group exhibition, Montgomery County Community College, Blue Bell, PA, January 2018
• Satellite Art Show, group exhibition, with Con Artist Collective, Miami, FL, December 2017
• Once Upon a Dream, group exhibition, Era Contemporary Gallery with The Mill Artist Studios, Philadelphia, PA, November 2017
• Stargarden, group exhibition, Era Contemporary Gallery with the Da Vinci Art Alliance, Philadelphia, PA, September 2017
• Recent Pieces by Jessica Libor, solo exhibition, Waverly Heights Gallery, Gladwyne, PA, August 2017
• Ebullience, group exhibition, BlinkArt Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, June 2017
• Summer Art, solo exhibition with live portrait sketching, Lord and Taylor, King of Prussia, PA, July 2017
• Spring Crush, group exhibition, Era Contemporary Gallery, Bryn Mawr, PA, April 2017
• Passport to Paradise, group exhibition, Era Contemporary Gallery with The Cynwyd Club, Bala Cynwyd, PA, March 2017
• Watercolor Remix Party, auction, The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA, February 2017
• Paper Dolls, solo exhibition, WeWork, Philadelphia, PA, August 2016
• A.I.R. Annual Postcard Exhibition, group exhibition, A.I.R. Gallery, Brooklyn, NY August 2016
• Diner En Blanc Philadelphia, live painting demo/group exhibition, The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA, August 2016
• Dressed in Spring, solo exhibition, Lord and Taylor, King of Prussia, PA, May 2016
• The Philadelphia Flower Show, Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, PA, March 2016
• Pop Party, auction, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA, February 2016
• Gardens of Delight, solo exhibition, The Bazemore Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, February 2016
• Fall Into Art, auction, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA, September 2015
• Rittenhouse Square Art Exhibition, Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA, September 2015
• Ballet X Benefit Exhibition, group exhibition, Bridgett Mayer Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, 2014
• 113th Annual Student Exhibition, MFA thesis exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA, May 2014
• In the Shadow of a Masterpiece, group exhibition, Gallery 128 at Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA, November 2012
• Backlash, group exhibition, SOHO20 Gallery, New York, NY, July 2012
• One Hundred Dollars, group exhibition, Littlefield Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, July 2012
• Drawn From PAFA, group exhibition, The Barbara Crawford Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, 2011
• Pivotal Pieces, group exhibition, Gallery Eight, Philadelphia, PA, 2011
• Painting in the Modern Tradition, group exhibition, Gallery Eight, Philadelphia, PA, 2010
• In & Out Salon, group exhibition, Anderson Arts Center, Anderson, SC, 2010
• Travels and Far-Away Places, 2 person exhibition with Adam Robitaille, Art and Light Gallery, Greenville, SC, 2010
• Anderson Art Show, group exhibition, Anderson, SC, 2007
•Art for Hearts, Zen Events, group exhibition benefiting Greenville Children’s Hospital, Greenville, SC, 2010
•Dreams of Radiance, solo exhibition, Art and Light Gallery, Greenville, SC, 2008